Sociology Graduate? Step into The Corporate World!By
A branch of study where the content material is directly applicative to the immediate surroundings – sociology is one of the most widely pursued subjects in the world. As a study of the intercommunication in the social sphere, it is useful in a variety of sectors.
Sociology graduate programs with multiple opportunities
A Baccalaureate or a Masters Degree holder in sociology can choose to step into a large number of avenues with the assurance of a good pay. A report published by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, United States Department of Labor stated that the median pay for a sociologist in 2016 was $ 79,750 which amounts to $ 38.34 per hour.
Sociology is also gaining a lot of popularity among young students in India as unique higher educational prospects in several related subject areas open up once they have completed a college degree. This gives them a novel set of skills which becomes the highlight on their job résumés.
Information released by Data USA reveals that a total of 37, 257 degrees in sociology were awarded in 2015 in the USA alone. The size of the workforce in the sector is 3.53 million which is growing at a rate of 247 %. Also, the average employee age stands at 43 years.
Sociology graduate in corporate world
It is not surprising to learn that sociologists are extremely high in demand in the world of business in India. A sociology graduate in India is trained to look at the society objectively and understand the causes of the various kinds of interactions that occur in it. The corporate world depends on the interaction between the customers and the salespeople, and an understanding of what the customer desires is the key to success.
Corporate houses nowadays increasingly seek degree holders in sociology field in order to improve different aspects of the business. Jobs like these are open to people from all fields, given that they have the quality to manage the trade.
A graduate in sociology can choose to apply for a job directly after completing his formal college education or further study for a degree in business which in turn can act as leverage for their corporate career.
Need for sociology graduate
At first glance, the corporate sector and a degree of graduation in sociology seem like two completely different worlds with each being irrelevant in the other. But on a closer look, one can understand the similarities and the interdependence of the two, which helps in bringing about a change in the current trends.
- Innovation: Business is, basically, catering to the necessities and likes of the people and in turn making money out of it. A sociologist can bring about a revolution in how the company advertises its products and interacts with the people, which can help it to soar to great heights in terms of market value.
- Interaction: In a sociology course, the students are taught to observe radically the relationships among people and their behavior. This includes the interactions between groups belonging to various social backgrounds, nationalities, creed, institutional and political positions.
They can, through a thorough analysis, help the management team foresee any kind of tension between the employees and avoid it.
- Prediction: Sociology graduates have also been found to be excellent analysts of business trends. They can, as a result of their social scrutiny skills, offer great new ideas for the advertisement of products.
Corporate jobs are suited for sociology graduate
- Human resource personnel: The HR department in any corporate house is the center of employee management. Anyone working in this sector is required to have an acute knowledge of the interaction patters in a social setting.
With businesses centers becoming more diverse and globalised than ever, the resource management teams need to be constantly aware and updated on ways to maintain harmony in the office. This is where sociologists come in to play. Their observational skills help in identifying ways to bring out the best in the employees.
- Public relations representative: Needless to say, a sociologist is one of the best choices for the position of a public relations officer in any corporate office.
Both local and global communications of the company are carried out with the assistance of a PR officer. The job also includes making new alliances and preserving old ones, while maintaining a good reputation of the company.
- Market researcher: A sociologist can easily understand, through a survey of the past and present public image of the company, about what the customers expect from it. As a result, he can offer valuable advice to the production and advertisement team about any changes that are to be incorporated in order to boost business.
- Sales representative: Sociologists can also opt for a sales job at a company where they can easily put their social skills in to play and bring about good business. The representative must be able to understand the requirements of the customer and present the product in a way that suits his needs.
Career path with graduate program in sociology
- Decisions: You must give this career option some serious thought and research, just like any other major life decision. Talk to you your parents and guardians about the decision and heed their suggestions, if any.
- Realization: Before pursuing a career in the corporate world, you must be aware of your own abilities and whether they will be useful in corporate or NGO sector. Remember, a corporate job is a difficult and highly demanding one. You must only go ahead if you think you will be able to enjoy it.
- Explore: After you have made a firm decision, explore the options you will have in the corporate world based on your skills. You can check out job openings offered by various companies, the information for which will be available on their websites.
- Background: It is always advantageous to have a degree in business before venturing into the corporate market. If you are still in college you can opt for a business course in addition to your major if it is available in your institute.
The final step of the journey is to simply go forth. Apply for as many interviews as possible. You will always gain experience and confidence, if not a job on the first go!
Rimtimmers recommends the following sociology colleges in India
Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS), MumbaiAddress: V.N. Purav Marg, Deonar, Mumbai – 400088
Phone No: +91-22-25525000
Lady Shri Ram College for WomenAddress: Lala Lajpat Rai Road, Amar Colony, Lajpat Nagar 4, New Delhi – 110024
Phone No: +91-11-26434459
Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS), HyderabadAddress: S.R Sankaran Block, Telangana State Institute of Panchayat Raj and Rural Development (TSIPARD) Campus, Rajendranagar, Hyderabad, Telangana 500030
Phone No: +91-40-24017701
Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS), GuwahatiAddress: Behind Assam Science and Technology University, Tetelia Road, Assam Engineering College Campus Jalukbari, Guwahati – 781013
Phone No: +91-361-2739889
Christ UniversityAddress: Hosur Road, Bangalore – 560029
Phone No: +91-80-40129600
Sacred Heart College, ThevaraAddress: Pandit Karuppan Road, Thevara, Ernakulam, Kerala – 682013
Phone No: +91-4842870504
Presidency University, KolkataAddress: 86/1, College Street, Kolkata – 700073
Phone No: +91-33-22573770
Loyola College ChennaiAddress: Sterling Road, Near Nungambakkam Railway Station, Nungambakkam, Chennai -600034
Phone No: +91-44-28178200
Zamorin’s Guruvayurappan CollegeAddress: GA College PO, Guruvayurappan College Road, Pokkunnu, Kozhikode, Kerala – 673014
Phone No: +91-4952331516
Scottish Church CollegeAddress: 1 & 3, Urquhart Square, Kolkata – 700006
Phone No: +91-33-23503862