Join Indian Forest Service (IFS)To Preserve And Conserve NatureBy
The Indian Forest Service (IFS) is one of the most prestigious polities of the civil services in India. It is associated with the administration, care and conservation of the national forest cover as well as the allied natural resources of the country.
Indian forest service recruitment
The Indian Forest Service (IFS) is one of the three chief administrative platforms in India, the others being the Indian Administrative Service (IAS) and Indian Police Service (IPS). Members of the IFS are selected via the Civil Services Examination conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC).
An article published in India Today reported that the nationwide Civil Services Examination has a candidate success rate of 0.1 % to 0.3 %. Numbers such as these render the exam one of the toughest in the world.
Indian forest service officer life
An article published in the Business Standard stated that around 10 to 12 million youths in India join the labor force every year, with more than 5 million leaving agriculture for jobs in the non-agricultural sector. But, only 7 million new jobs are created in the country, leaving deficit in the demand of 15 million.
In times as competitive as these, a career in IFS provides a golden opportunity for fitting candidates to create bright future through a noble profession. A job in the Indian Forest Service offers prestige, a comfortable income and a chance to give back to the motherland.
Indian forest service selection process
- Educational qualification: The primary academic requirement for selection in the service is a bachelor’s degree in one of the following subjects-
Agriculture, Chemistry, Botany, Engineering (specific branches), Mathematics, Physics, Zoology, Forestry and a few others. The complete list is available on the website of UPSC.
- Examination: The selection via the Civil Services Examination is done in two stages.
- Written test: The candidate is tested on her general knowledge, verbal ability and writing skills (in English), and two additional subjects- a random choice and the specialization of graduate degree, as mentioned in the brochure released prior to the exam.
- Personal Interview: Once the candidate has been qualified in the written test; she is called for an interview session in front of a panel of highly accomplished government officials. The interview is meant to be a screening process to select only the most deserving candidates from the lot.
- Training: After a candidate has successfully completed the written exam and the interview, they are granted acceptance in to the IFS. They are now required to attend a two-year training period in the Lal Bahadur Shashtri National Academy of Administration in Mussoorie followed by the Indira Gandhi National Forest Academy at Dehradun.
The new officers are trained in a variety of subjects related to forest management and administration and the sustainable exploitation of forest resources. They are also required to undergo extensive physical training during the regimen.
At the end of two years, the candidates are finally awarded their degrees and welcomed in to the workforce as officers.
Indian forest service eligibility criteria
If you harbor keen interest in ecology and environmental issues, then a career in the Indian Forest Service is the right choice for you. The officers under IFS are involved in several avenues of forest management.
- One of the principal tasks of a forest officer is to identify the area under forest cover and to prepare a well defined boundary with the nearby local inhabitants.
- Forest management involves steps for protection of the wildlife in the demarcated area including prevention of recreational hunting and poaching for commercial benefit. The IFS is thus closely associated with national as well as international wildlife protection authorities.
- The forest is a storehouse of a large variety of natural resources like timber, wild fruit, medicinal plants, etc. The officials trained under the IFS are well informed in the methods of planning the sustainable management of the resources.
This involves a sound knowledge of the rules of conduct regarding the local communities, forest protection laws and ways of restoration of used property. The prime object is to utilize the benefits rendered by nature to the fullest while keeping in mind the sustenance of the source.
- The forest officers are required to keep strict vigil on any kind of activity occurring inside the forest area under their jurisdiction. This mostly includes the people of the nearby areas who come to the forest in order to collect food and timber, illegal inhabitants and poachers.
The forests may also sometimes act as hiding grounds for militant groups, in case of which the officer must quickly identify the region inhabited and inform the concerned security personnel.
- Forest service is further associated with many allied industries like bee keeping, paper production and wood stock. Acute knowledge of such collaborations is mandatory for the officer.
If the above mentioned prospects seem agreeable and interesting to you, then you must immediately start preparing for the next session of the Civil Services Examination!
Indian forest service syllabus
A detailed syllabus plan for the qualifying examination is available along with the announcement brochure for the examination. Listed below are a few useful tips that can be additionally followed along with a fully fledged study plan.
- Newspaper reading: Keeping up with the daily news is a vital necessity for a candidate preparing for the IFS, as well as for any other citizen. A prospective candidate must be consistently aware of the important decisions taken by the national and state governments on a day to day basis as well as happenings in the international community.
The current age of technology has made news-reading even easier with applications available on a smartphone that keeps you updated within hours of the news reaching the press.
- Writing skills: English is the only medium of communication in the Civil Services Examinations and candidates are expected to have a good command over the language, both in terms of writing as well as speaking.
The content required in the essay writing section can only be developed through an avid reading of the recommended study material. If you think that your skills require a little bit of brushing up before the exam, grab a high school English grammar book today and start practicing!